A free OpenLearn course
‘You are what you eat’, goes the old adage, but what you eat also has an impact on the environment. This free course, Eating for the environment, will explore the links between food, nutrition and environmental sustainability. It will start by exploring the diversity on your dinner plate and encourage you to reflect on it in relation to dietary choices and preferences of people around the world. It will explore the connections between food, culture and traditions, and the challenges in providing healthy and nutritious food to the world’s growing population. The course will examine innovative approaches to food that also help environmental sustainability.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- identify the diversity of ingredients on dinner plates from around the world
- list the ingredients of a dinner plate and place them on the taxonomic tree
- recognise traditional and cultural associations of food
- identify geographical origins of different foods and intellectual property rights over them
- explore the links between food choices and environmental sustainability.Eating for the Environment